We offer a variety of classes open to the public in the South London area.
White Belt, 10th Kup
The aim of this syllabus is to keep students focussed and motivated as they progress through the official ITF Taekwon-Do grading programme. There are ten grades from whitebelt (beginner level) to black belt (proficiency). Students advance to the next grade by taking a formal grading examination.
For each section below successfully completed, adults receive a credit and juniors are awarded a unique badge. Students can take on average three assessments to achieve all sections. However, it is possible for a student to complete all sections in one sitting. When all badges or sections have been achieved, students are awarded the grade of Yellow Tag.
White Belt Awards
All of the following 12 sections must be completed before students are promoted to Yellow Tag (9th Kup). White Belt students must attend a minimum of eight sessions (and a minimum of one month’s training) before attending their first assessment.
a) Attention Stance
b) Parallel Stance
c) Sitting Stance
d) Walking Stance
- Walking Ready Stance, Step4 x Forwards/Backwards (showing in/out motion)
- Show how to make a fist
- Sitting Stance, 10 Punches
- Walking Stance, Punch, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
- Push-ups x 10
- Balance with knee and guard up for10 seconds on each leg
- Hop with guard and knee up (at least waist level), Each leg 4 x Forwards/Backwards and Sideways over a pad
- Punches against a pad: close but not touching; just touching and contact with power
- Hold guard up. Arms are then tapped with pad to test guard’s strength
- Walking Ready Stance, Rising Kick, 5 x Each Leg
- Walking Ready Stance, Front Snap Kick, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
Block – Part One (Makgi 1)
- Walking Stance, Low Block, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
- Walking Stance, High Block, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
- Walking Stance, Rising Block, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
Block – Part Two (Makgi 2)
- Walking Stance, Inward Middle Block, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
- Walking Stance, Outward Middle Block, 4 x Forwards/Backwards
Four Directional Punch – Part One (Saju Jirugi 1)
Four Directional Punch – Parts One and Two (Saju Jirugi 2)
Four Directional Block – Part One (Saju Makgi 1)
Four Directional Block – Parts One and Two (Saju Makgi 2)
Theory – Part One (I‐Ron 1)
Random questions from below in any order:
|What does Taekwon-Do mean?||:||The Art of Foot and Hand|
|Which country did Taekwon-Do come from?||:||Korea|
|Who is the Founder of Taekwon-Do?||:||Grandmaster General Choi 9th Degree|
|What date did Taekwon-Do start?||:||11th April 1955|
|What does the colour of a white belt signify?||:||White means Innocence, as the beginner who has no knowledge of Taekwon-Do|
|What does the symbol on the back of your uniform represent?||:||Evergreen Tree|
|What do the initials ITF stand for?||:||International Taekwon-Do Federation|
|What are the Tenets of Taekwon-Do?||:||Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit|
|Count to Five in Korean||:||1. Hana, 2. Dool, 3. Set, 4. Net, 5. Dasot|
Theory – Part Two (I-Ron 2)
Students are only tested on this exercise if the TheoryBadge Pt. 1 has been achieved.Random questions from below in any order:
|What height should your fist be in amiddle block or punch?||:||Shoulder level|
|What height should your fist be in ahigh block or punch?||:||Eye level|
|Name in Korean:|
|Attention Stance||:||Charyot Sogi|
|Parallel Stance||:||Narani Sogi|
|Walking Stance||:||Gunnun Sogi|
|Sitting Stance||:||Annun Sogi|
|Name in Korean and demonstrate:||:|
|Outer Forearm||:||Bakat Palmok|
|Inner Forearm||:||An Palmok|
|Front Sole||:||Ap Kumchi|
|Count to Ten in Korean||:||1. Hana, 2. Dool, 3. Set, 4. Net, 5. Dasot 6. Yosot, 7. Ilgop, 8. Yodul, 9. Ahop, 10. Yol|
Iron-on Instructions for Junior Badges
- Position badges, as shown below, with plastic backing in contact with belt.
- Set iron to hot and, if possible, turn off steam.
- Place clean cloth between iron and badge to prevent accidental burning. Apply light pressure and move the iron in small circles. Use point of iron to secure edges. Remove iron after approx 30 secs.
- Stop immediately if you smell burning.
- Stitching may be required if badge is loose.
- Do not wash belt.